Saturday, March 12, 2005

How Tone Gives Words *NEW* Meanings

Have you ever tried to have a normal conversation with someone only to have the tone of your words be all wrong? For instance, you are relating to your friend how you managed to get that awful grease spot out of the ________ (you fill in the blank) and somehow, it comes out sounding like you are telling your friend, in no uncertain terms, that they obviously don't have the brains or the upbringing to know that your way is the only way! *sigh* The sad part is that we won't usually hear the way it sounds.

I wonder what I would hear if someone recorded my voice for one day. . . no, too long! One hour, maybe? I have a sick feeling that my words would slap me in the face. I have a tendency to be overly dramatic and sometimes stringent in my tone. I am grateful that the Lord has brought it to my attention. I grieve when I think how often I use my voice to tear others down. No, it isn't intentional, but it happens anyway.

Remember being told, "think before you speak" and "for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart?" (Luke 6:45b) Here is another to add to them: "He who loves purity of heart and whose speech is gracious, the king shall be his friend." (Proverbs 22:11) So, if gracious words come from a pure heart, isn't this what I should be asking God to give me?

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

Ach! I feel your pain. For the plain and simple reason that my own mode of address could use a little (okay alot) of help. Having a rather vivacious personality, it really hits home when I read something like: "In a multitude of words, sin is not lacking". But God is faithful--so not so many worries...

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My tendency is to read "In a multitude of words sin is not lacking" and think that theres no problem there. But then I get to "Even a fool is considered perceptive when he closes his lips" and go Oh no!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

How about writing? It's even more fun to imagine all the different ways a sentence can be read. Word choice and order is often crucial in those cases--so it's not entirly hit-and-miss.

4:31 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

The great thing about writing is that you can delete, edit, and rephrase without ever having anyone upset at you! I have found it helpful to have my husband read my scribblings before publishing, just to make sure I am on track. Also, I frequently ask his input on a day's worth of conversations.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home