Monday, September 12, 2005

Hey, y'all want some so-wus?

"Hey" is the most commonly used Southern greeting. So, "Hey, Y'all!" One of these days, I'll try to post something in Brooklynese. Actually, I might be speaking it in the near future. Maybe I already am! For instance, I now find it hard to just say "sauce" when referring to the red stuff that you put on spaghetti. I accidentally say, umm, I wonder how to spell this? So-wus?

My three years of Southern living still show up sometimes, too. Typically I have trouble pronouncing the word "I." It frequently comes out "Ah." There is something so comforting and welcoming in the soft South Carolina accent.

I really hope people don't think I am making fun of them: I'm not. I have decided that since I am from the West Coast and there really aren't any native accents out there, I tend to pick up bits of every accent I am around. You should have heard me talk in South Carolina. At the school there were people from New Zealand, Wales, Texas and Canada, to name a few. I don't think anyone there knows how I really talk. Don't ask me to put on different accents when you are with me, though. I only talk like the people I am with.

We are now living on Long Island. In our church, there are Irish, Italian, Indian (via Guyana), transplanted Southerners, etc. You should hear me now.

12 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

Yeah, I could tell when we talked on the phone this morning that you were succombing to the New Yorker inside of you. So-wus? Not a bad spelling. But there is nothing like hearing it in person.

Its Fantabulous in the extreem to be in contact with you m'dear! Do keep writing. Loves!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Sarah this is quite hilarious! You know I pick up accents too. Not as well as you do mind, but I hold my own.

News!!
Joel DJ's wife is pregnant!! and he doesn't work at Lndl any more! His last day was Fri the 9th. The guy they hired to take his place used to work at the Nuthse and in my opinion is a very good worker!! He's a great people person and has caught on to the computer system better than the people in Bham! I shall have to write you more in a letter!!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Hey you! Haven't heard from you in a while...I miss you. I'm emailing though...*sniff*. I know you must be outragiously busy (as usual) but...*sob*. I MISS YOU!!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I agree that in this area we don't have a definet accent but I have to say that I have picked up a lot of Canadianese (if there is such a thing!). I have lived in the south and e. and can speak southern with the best of them but these days I sound like a Canadian in many ways. When I traveled to Europe they all thought I was Canadian...your descriptions of the accents made me laugh and brought back great memories of the years before Whatcom County. Thanks!

4:15 PM  
Blogger La*Oriente said...

So Che about the accent business!! I love hearing different types of accents so its great when a family member becomes "one of those people with the cool accents"!! Sounds a little crazy I know. lol

7:06 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Saaaarrrrraaaahhhh...I miss you.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Feliz Compleanos mi hermana!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello stranger!
Remember me? I have been enjoying your blog lots. I feel like I've had a chance to hear from all of you. I got to your blog through Jenna's which I also enjoyed btw, Jenna! I got to Jenna's through my daughters'. Elisabeth and Heidi both have one, though I don't. Hi to your mom too, Sarah!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hi Mrs. Luimes! Good to hear from you.

Sarah...I know times are tough and you are busy...but there has to be one or two spare moments each month at least eh? :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Yeah. :)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I miss you Sarah--I think maybe I'll send you a snail-mail letter complete with stationary, fountain pen, and sealing wax. Yes, I do believe I will.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Sarah? You wrote this post 6 months ago. Hmm.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home